Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 22:14:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   A wild idea on the "dup alloc" and "bad dir" panics...

This is just a wild thought I had...

 We've eliminated different processors, different disk drives,
different memory configurations, etc... in an attempt to determine
what's common about the machines experiencing these problems.

 The item that's common for my two machines experiencing the
problem that we haven't investigated is:

	Hercules Monochrome Monitor

 I know it's *really* reaching here, but can everyone who's involved
let me know what kind of monitor they've got connected...  Maybe
there's something in that device driver that's trashing some random
memory, or this happens during a scroll, or something like that...
[It is a far stretch, admitedly, but it would explain why this only
occurs on a small subset of machines...]

 Anyway, just a thought...

	- Dave Rivers -