Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:55:10 -0600
From:      <apredoehl@go.mailsvc.com>
To:        zope@2012.vi
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (no subject)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:14:10 -0400 beno wrote:

>Gerard Seibert wrote:
>> To update portmanager, assuming you have an
>> up-to-date port system:
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager
>> male install & make clean
>>
>Well, here's exactly what I'm doing:
>
>cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager
>
>make install
>make clean
>/usr/local/bin/portmanager -u -f -l -y
>
>and then it proceeds to go back into its infinite
>loop!!! This is what I'm trying to avoid!!! I
>presume the reason it does that is because it
>HASN'T upgraded and is STILL at version 0.2.0_1

Caution:  I am new at answering questions, so someone
please chime in if I make a mistake.

beno, here is a guess:  the reason this is happening is
that your ports tree (that is, /usr/ports/*) is probably
old.  The version numbers, checksums, and much more, for
EVERY port is stored in the ports tree.  Unless you update
your ports tree, just deinstalling and reinstalling a port
won't make it any newer.

There are a few ways to update your ports tree.  Chapter 4
of the handbook describes a few ways.  Personally I like
to use cvsup(1).

If you use cvsup(1) you can either update your entire
ports tree or just part of it.  Here is text straight out
of the handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html)

"...As root, copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
to a new location, such as /root or your home directory.

Edit ports-supfile.

Change CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org to a CVSup server near you.
 See CVSup Mirrors (Section A.5.7) for a complete listing
of mirror sites.

And now to run cvsup, use the following:
# cvsup -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
"

This might take awhile.  You'll see your ports tree
getting files added, changed, and removed.  After it is
done, THEN try deinstalling, building, and reinstalling
portmanager, or portupgrade, or whatever.

If you don't want to modify your whole ports tree, you can
edit ports-supfile a bit more and restrict the changes to
just the sysutils directory -- look inside the file for
helpful comments on how to do this.