Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 01:22:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gated problems

well... I'm working on creating a terminal server and plan on supporting
both dynamic ip addresses plus connecting remote networks...  I am trying
to get gated to run so that I don't have to worry about people messing
with my local routing tables...

so far it runs run but as soon as it gets an interface up event it dumps
core...  I've built gated with debugging symbols and try to run gdb on
it... but it doesn't seem to include the data from the actual program...
i.e. any data that I try to access returns not able to access memory...

it seems to be more of a problem with a special handling of the ppp/sl
devices as if I ifconfig ppp0 192.168.0.30 192.168.3.1 up it will dump
core as with sl0... but if I do something like ifconfig ed0 alias
192.168.3.1 netmask 255.255.255.0, the route gets properly propagated to
my other host and gated doesn't dump core...

I've tried to build the latest gated (3.6Alpha2) but I currently have no
idea how to complete the build...

any ideas would be greatly apriciated... thanks for you help.. ttyl..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)