Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:57:56 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs), nate@mt.sri.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: callouts in CAM (was Re: cvs commit:)

>> Where is the max allocation up front?  I allocate on demand.
>
>There is no reason not to watermark the free pool.  It has the advantage
>that you can return memory to the system, and allocations can occur in
>page units.

Sure, but that is not the case for the timeout and untimeout interface,
which, if you recall is what we are talking about.  If a client calls
timeout and there are not entries left, and a new one cannot be allocated,
the interface does not allow this error to be propagated to the client.
If, on the other hand, the client is responsible for allocating it's
entry before it is used, the client can be smart about the failure.

I don't want to change all of the clients of the timeout interface to make
them handle a resource failure.  I only want to modify the "heavy users"
and leave a common pool for other users of the interface.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations