Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:09:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1 install won't boot (but 4.0 will!)

GB> This machine boots from CD and the boot floppies just fine.  We
GB> can install the OS, all goes fine.  (We've tried about 6 times,
GB> using various combinations of standard/quick/custom install).  We
GB> are using the whole disk for FreeBSD, but not using dangerously
GB> dedicated.  We have tried using the standard MBR or BootEasy.

Try the DD mode.  I did a box yesterday that would not boot for the
life of me without being dangerously dedicated.  It has a pair of
BusLogic 958 SCSI controllers on it.  What I see is the BIOS saying
"getting boot data from SCSI..OK" then "Missing Operating System" and
it hangs.  With DD mode, it boots just fine.

I hope this doesn't cause problems with future FreeBSD versions that
don't support DD disks.