Date:      Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:39:05 EST
From:      "Jason Simms" <jlsimms@hotmail.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Localization and locale()?

Hello,

I am currently writing several programs that, for one reason or another,
need to be localized in various sections.  On Solaris, I can see what
choices I have by running 'locale -a'.  However, all my attempts to find a
similar function on FreeBSD 3.4 have failed.

I would have searched the mailing list archives, but they are, of course,
currently down.  Also, my search through the handbook also only showed
examples for Russian and German encoding (section 12).

For my specific problem, I need access to the following three character
sets:

es_ES.ISO8859-1
pt.PT.ISO8859-1
en_US.ISO8859-1

And within my program (Perl), I need to use the setlocale() function
imported from the POSIX module (actually, from the locale_h header file).
If I run this on FreeBSD, will the program die on me due to the apparent
lack of a locale function?  If one is available, where can I get it from?
And finally, if these character sets are not installed on my system, what is
the best way to go about getting them on there?  Any help or insight would
be appreciated, so thanks!

Jason Simms