Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 21:34:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VOP_LEASE(...) or (void)VOP_LEASE(...)?

:VOP_LEASE(...) always returns 0 so there is no actual need to check its
:return value. But still it has a return value.  So should we use
:(void)VOP_LEASE(...) instead of just VOP_LEASE(...)?

    I think we should leave it an int.  It may not always return 0 in the
    future.

:BTW, I guess that the practice of modifying
:default_vnodeop_p[VOFFSET(vop_lease)] in nfs_init() is a hack. Why do not
:we use
:
:   { &vop_lease_desc,              (vop_t *) nqnfs_vop_lease_check },
:
:instead of
:
:   { &vop_lease_desc,              (vop_t *) vop_null },
:
:in nfsv2_vnodeop_entries[] in file nfs_vnops.c?
:
:Thanks for any help.

    I think the hack is in there in order to optimize code exclusion when
    NFS_NOSERVER is set.

    This is one of those "if it aint broke, don't fix it" situations.  I
    know it's ugly, but the only things we should be patching into the NFS
    code right now are bug fixes.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:Zhihui Zhang.  Please visit http://www.freebsd.org
:
:
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
: