Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:41:51 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

Brett Glass writes:
> >I'll start worrying when there is an enforceable precedent in my
> >area.
>
> Better watch out in that case, since the Harrison case involved
> a British defendant and an American plaintiff. So, the precedent
> is already international.

Aaah. Now that precedent scares me not, because in his case there
was _substantial_ similarity between Plaintiff's tune and Defendant's
tune. This similarity may be coincidental, but it is substantial,
and US case law (the BSD vs USL case for example) has already
provided a clarification of how far that might go in _code_. For
code to be as substantially similar in a copyright-infringing way
would take a clear, overt and actionable act, IMVHO.

I still fail to see where _reading_, _modifying_ or _using_ GPL'ed
code is dangerous, as long as one clearly bears normal copyright
issues in mind.

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH