Date:      Wed, 26 May 2010 23:01:57 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Event timers

Alexander Motin wrote:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 24/05/2010 18:57 Alexander Motin said the following:
>>> I have defined several points on that way:
>>> 1*. clean low-level timer drivers from unrelated stuff,
>>> 2*. make some common code machine-independent,
>>> 3. write common driver API for event timers (alike to one we have now
>>> for time counters) to make adding more drivers possible,
>>> 4. add support for HPET as event timer in addition to time counter,
>>> 5. add support for timers in one-shot mode (LAPIC and HPET).
>> I wonder how much you have progressed for 3,4,5.
>
> Not really much yet. Learned existing code and hardware specs, have some
> thought and ready to proceed.

Here is first approach to 3:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/et.20100526.patch
, - created common API, heavily refactored attimer, atrtc and lapic
drivers, written simple and formal common code. Now it is possible to
use any one or two of these three drivers for either hardclock or
statclock by just changing weights or disabling them. Tested on i386,
should work on amd64, probably broken on XEN and pc98 for now.

--
Alexander Motin