Date:      Thu, 22 May 2008 10:07:55 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenGL accumulation buffer is very slow, testing needed

Hi!

I was investigating the problem with broken OpenGL renderer in
latest graphics/gnash versions and discovered that the cause of
problem is accumulation buffer. I've done a simple test which shows
terrible performance drop when accumulation buffer is used (about
1000x times!). I'm using FreeBSD 7.0, GeForce 3 NVidia videocard
with nvidia-driver-96.43.05 and latest xorg-server-1.4 and libs.

While my videocard is without doubt old and crappy, this still seems
like a bug in X server or nvidia driver, as performance drop is
_way_ too big and besides X server becomes unresponsive while running
the test. I have at least one more report of the same problem (though
no data on hardware yet), and taking into account that no problems
were reported to Gnash developers by Linux users, it may be that
there's something weong on FreeBSD side.

The test is located here: http://amdmi3.ru/glaccum-test.tar.gz (2kb),
it requires just OpenGL and SDL to run. Beware though that it may hang
your X server (though, as tests exit after 20 seconds, it's unlikely).
`glxinfo|grep "OpenGL.*string"` will also be useful.

My results:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce3/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.43.05
./without_accum
Seconds: 20.00, frames: 10306, FPS: 515.299
./with_accum
Seconds: 20.12, frames: 10, FPS: 0.497

--
Dmitry A. Marakasov    | jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru