Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:42:37 -0700
From:      Allyn Hardyck <allynh@barkley.ME.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NEC SCSI CD-ROM question

System configuration:
    Pentium Pro 200MHz
    Adaptec 2940 UW controller
    2G drive, FreeBSD 2.2.1 on a 1G partition
    NEC CDR-1910 8x SCSI CD-ROM

The system doesn't recognize the CD-ROM at boot and hangs for a few
minutes while trying to probe the drive.  The message that finally
comes up is something like "ugly hard reset".

Does FreeBSD recognize NECs?  They're not explicitly listed in the set
of supported devices at www.freebsd.org.  Would it help to reorder the
SCSI numbering of my existing devices?  The controller has two internal
buses:  a 50-pin that the CD-ROM is on and a 68-pin that the disk is
on.  Should I get some sort of internal converter to move the CD-ROM to
the 68-pin?

Thanks for any advice.

Allyn Hardyck