Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 13:31:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Drew Morone <tdrew@cairn.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Horrifying System Crash!

Today, I woke up, decided to reboot the system to fix the tape backup,
and the system would not boot.
Here's the problem:
The partition table is -totally- screwed. There are all kinds of messed
up entries in there.
I tried booting to floppy, and using the fixit disk to "fix" things, but
what I get back is the following:
from fsck /dev/sd0
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
/dev/rsd0 NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILESYSTEM (unused)

I tried fsck -b16 (and b32 and b64)
and I got the same message

I tried fdisk. They showed the data for the partitions, and they were
all screwed up.

The question is, what can I do to restore the partition table? Is there
anyway I can mount a partition, and get a copy of it somewhere?
Also, is there anyway I can avoid this?
I've got 400 users who are trying to get their mail, files, etc..
Please help!

Drew