Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:26:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        tforrest@mcs.net (Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM)
Cc:        alex@wnm.net (Alex Charalabidis), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-questions@freebsd.org)
Subject:   Re: POP for FreeBSD ?

Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM wrote,
> On this thread - does Qpopper allow one to send using authenticated
> POP3?  My shell provider - mcs.net shut off SMTP relaying quite some
> time ago.  I was told by one of the head gurus to switch my email
> client to POP3 for sending (as MCS is not my internet provider).  This
> has worked great as it only accepts mail from me if I put my username
> and password in (apparently, this feature is not well known, because
> even the tech support guys at mcs.net argued with me for 10 minutes (on
> my dime) that you cannot send with POP3 - I said "I've been doing it
> for months").

I guess you already heard this, but:

	You cannot sent mail with POP3.

To quote RFC 1081 which defines the POP3 protocol,

   This memo does not specify how a client host enters mail into the
   transport system, although a method consistent with the philosophy of
   this memo is presented here:

      When the user agent on a client host wishes to enter a message
      into the transport system, it establishes an SMTP connection to
      its relay host (this relay host could be, but need not be, the
      POP3 server host for the client host).

The guys on mcs.net are right. POP3 protocol has no standards for
sending email.

I believe this "feature" is the classic hack to the POP server code
which allows IP addresses that have recently queried the POP server to
relay mail. However, if you are actually sending out mail on port 110,
I have no idea what is up; but it is not POP3.