Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 22:59:03 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@parody.tecc.co.uk>
To:        Michael Ryan <mike@networx.ie>
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PS/2 mouse and X Windows

On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Michael Ryan wrote:

> (a) I'm trying to get a Logitech compatible mouse working
> with XFree86.  (It's a Compaq-branded mouse.)  I've
> rebuilt the kernel with the following lines in the config file:
> options         ALLOW_CONFLICT_IOADDR
> device          psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 12 vector psmintr

As this is a Logitech-compatible mouse, shouldn't you be using

device          mse0    at isa? port 0x23c tty irq 5 vector mseintr

instead?

> The rebuild went fine.  The following exists in /dev:
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   21,   1 Dec 30 17:25 /dev/psm0

> I can't read from the device.  "cat" gives the following
> error message:
> # cat < /dev/psm0
> cat: stdin: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> When I run "startx", the following message is among
> the output generated:
> Warning: unable to get status of mouse fd (Invalid argument)

I suspect these are symptoms of using the wrong device and/or the wrong
protocol in XF86Config. (Although trying to do a 'cat' on a PS/2 device
doesn't work even if you've got everything else right, just to add to the
fun 8-)

> (b) Is Motif available?

Yes, but at a price (~GBP100). A free clone called "LessTif" is in an
advanced stage of development and is probably a better bet if you don't
mind waiting a little.

James

Segmentation fault (core dumped): cannot find file '.signature'