Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 15:06:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        amurai@spec.co.jp, tony-o@iij.ad.jp
Subject:   ijppp suggestion: way to temporarily stop autodial from dialing

(sorry about the multiple recipients, I'm not quite sure who to send this
to).

I love the ijppp (user level ppp) program that came with FreeBSD.  Once I
got its auto-dial feature to work, I was instantly hooked.  I love the
fact that you can just go "telnet foo.bar.com" instead of remembering
"gee, did I remember to start up the pppd daemon today or not?  Are my
route entries correct or not?  Is God smiling down upon me today or not?"
etc.

But there is a small suggestion I have for this fine package.

Sometimes, I am expecting a important phone call, and don't want the line
to be tied up.  Other times, my roommate is making a LONG phone call, and
is annlyed if my modem tries calling out.  (we only have one phone line
in this tiny apartment).  Other similar situations occur.

It would be nice to be able to temporarily tell ijppp to stop dialing the
modem for a short period, then later to tell it "ok, you can make more
calls again."  WITHOUT having to kill the ppp daemon, restart your
computer, etc.

For example, (and this is only one example) if you could type:

touch /tmp/.no-modem

then if ijppp detects the existence of the "/tmp/.no-modem" file, it
won't try dialing out.  If the file suddenly disappears (i.e. you 'rm'
it), it will start dialing again.

But thank you again for a great program!

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 // FAX 564-2315 // WWW http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dburr
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **