Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 22:47:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com, tlambert@primenet.com, jdn@acp.qiv.com, blkirk@float.eli.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

As Simon Shapiro wrote...

> On 03-Mar-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > This is called the 'write hole' in the literature. The trick is to
> > use battery backed cache not only for RAID5 (write)performance
> > reasons, but also to keep the data until date AND parity have safely
> > landed on the disks.
>
> I have seen an interesting solution some time ago;  Instead of battery, the
> spindle motor (on the disk) was used to generate the power needed to flush
> the caches.  then the motor leads will be clamped, and the spidle shut down
> quickly (normal procedure nowdays).  This was done on a 14" spindle that
> had a bit more inertia than todays' disks. But the circuitry consumed more
> power too.
>
> > Same problems for mirror sets BTW. And don't enable the write caches *on
> > the
> > disks themselves* unless you feel suicidal ;-)
>
> Unless they use the above trick...

The trick is cute, but it was used to park heads in the drives I saw.
Not for flushing on drive caches. There would not be enough power to
do e.g. a seek in order flush the cache. And by definition your platter
rpm is dead wrong, you essentially use the whole thing as a electromagnetic
brake. Not nice.

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --