Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:43:19 -0800
From:      "JVD" <jvd@delinocci.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dell E521 Threads

Sorry if some of these questions have already been answered, but I have been
digging around and can't find any actual answers.  I have tried to run
FreeBSD 6.2 for amd64 and 6.2 for i386 on a Dell E521 with no real luck.
Currently, I am running 6.2 for i386 and just got done with a cvsup and a
build/installworld with no changes.  The list of issues appears to be the
same that others have already posted about but was looking for some
direction on where to look for answers.  Since I installed i386 many issues
have been resolved, but the following still remain:

1.       System panics if any USB device is plugged in during boot - I know
there is a bug open on this but I have not seen any progress or potential
fixes

2.       The DVD-ROM is not recognized

3.       The sound card is not recognized

4.       After getting the box to boot and plugging in the mouse, my window
manager is slow and unresponsive.  You can't see the input into aterm/xterm
unless the mouse is moving while you type and I have to click the mouse 3-4
times before anything happens when using menus, trying to get focus, etc.

I know not all of these belong on the same mailing list, and I have tried to
find answers from the existing threads on these topics, but have not seen
any threads that have potential solutions.  If someone has fixed these
issues on their own or could provide me direction as to where to look / what
threads to watch for resolution I'd greatly appreciate it.   Thanks in
advance

-jvd