Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 14:21:54 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Invitation to participate in PPPoE Trial" (fwd)

jon@caamora.com.au said:
> i realise that all things bright and shiney are seen as must  haves,
> but could you (briefly and not so technically) explain  to me and the
> others who may also be wondering what real  advantage PPPoE would
> offer to endusers.
>
> or, please point to a reading list, bibliography, rfc,  etc etc.

Well, the reading matter's in rfc2516.

The basic idea is for ISPs that want to provide ethernet based media
to individual subscribers that have no requirement to talk directly
to each other - ie, things like ADSL I believe.  The reason PPPoE is
used is to supply the session-control and authentication side of
things.  The ISP may have several gateway machines on the LAN, and
each subscriber will broadcast a request to connect to a gateway.
When they're accepted a ppp connection results using the ethernet as
a transport.

Personally, I prefer the idea of having something like PPPoUDP
instead.  This would provide all the same facilities, be very easy to
implement (user-ppp can do it already!) and would be routable, all
for a very small encapsulation overhead.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>