Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 10:32:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      A boy and his worm gear <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, hsu@cs.hut.fi, jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com, karl@mcs.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

Of all the gin joints in all the world, Michael Smith had to walk
into mine and say:

> Karl Denninger, MCSNet stands accused of saying:
> > I happen to personally HATE the installer that FreeBSD uses, as adding disks
> > to an existing system is a real bitch of a job the way they do things.  The
> > nice (and it IS nice) installer that you get when you boot disk #1 is not
> > available once you have it up, and that's really too bad -- if FreeBSD had a
> > nice, clean disk partitioning and labelling tool I'd be in hog heaven right
> > now.
>
> Um, Jordan, I have this odd recollection of you announcing a version of
> the installer floppy that let you do the individual thangs all by themselves,
> rather than committing to mounting/extracting/etc;  do I have bats inside,
> or what?
>
> > Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[

I don't know how many of you have noticed it yet, but there is a way
to partition and label new disks _after_ the initial installation using
/stand/sysinstall, _without_ having to commit to a full install. It's
called wizard mode. I added a Maxtor 71260 1.2GB IDE disk to my system
recently and had no trouble at all. Here's what you do:

1) Physically install the disk (mine is installed as wd2, which is unit
   0 on my second IDE controller).
2) Boot the system and run /stand/sysinstall (be sure to do it on ttyv0
   'cause it seems to be rather fond of running from the first virtual
   console and it behaves strangely if you do it from anywhere else
   (hopefully this will be fixed in Sysinstall: The Next Generation)).
3) Find your way to the 'Partition' menu, select the new drive, and
   partition it to taste.
4) When you have everything set up the way you like it, press 'w' to get
   into wizard mode.
5) At the prompt, type 'write' and then press ENTER. This will write the
   new partition table immediately.
6) Type 'quit' to get out of wizard mode and then press 'Q' to leave the
   partition editor.
7) Go the the 'Label' section of the program, and set up your FreeBSD
   filesystems as you see fit (make a note of the mount points you select
   because they won't be saved).
8) Once again, press 'w' to get into wizard mode and type 'write' to write
   your disklabel to the disk.
9) Quit all the way out of the systinstall program: you're pretty much done.

The last step is to newfs the newly created filesystems and then add them
to /etc/fstab. These are two things that you can't get sysinstall to do for
you without committing to a full install first, but these steps are fairly
easy to do by hand, and you really should know how to do this sort of
thing anyway (install programs are nice, but learning how to fend for
yourself is nicer). Just newfs the filesystems, make mount points and
edit fstab accordingly. You can then mount the filesystems and begin using
the disk right away.

One thing I didn't do was try to coax the thing into writing a boot
manager to the disk for me, but I didn't so much care about that since
I wasn't planning on booting from the new drive (you can't boot from
disks on the second IDE controller anyway). Even so, this too is something
that can easily be done by hand (writing the bootblocks is easily
done with disklabel -B wd? and booteasy can be installed seperately
provided you have an MS-DOS boot floppy lying around).

Even so, it would be nice to be able to do just the disk configuration
part without being forced to go through a complete install or making
an end run around the user interface. I expect this is one of the many
things Jordan has on his TODO list.

-Bill

--
-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager