Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 13:35:08 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

> Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I meant "replace all occurences of 'msgvec' in lex.c with
> > 'msgfoo', then recompile".  You might want to make it static too, ie
> > change line 158 to 'static int *msgvec;'.
>
> 	You know, this is what I get for doing stuff like this late at night. I
> sed'ed msgvec to msgfoo, checked it to make sure it worked properly,
> recompiled, and retested. What I didn't do was 'mv lex.sed lex.c' :)
> Anyway, now that I've actually done that, it works just fine. No
> warnings, and no crash in gdb even with AJ -> /etc/malloc.conf.
>
> 	This code is the same in both branches, so now that we know (?) what
> the problem is, if it's changed it should probably be changed in both
> branches.

This isn't a fix, unfortunately.

It means that there are two instances of 'msgvec' with global scope,
and the other one needs to be found too.

You could probably just change the 'msgvec' in lex.c to be static in
order to achieve that goal; then you need to work out which object(s)
are exporting 'msgvec' as globals.

Any chance of you doing that?  Have a look at the output of 'nm' on each
of the .o files, and see which (if any) export or reference _msgvec.