Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 21:17:14 +0000 ()
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        freebsd@freebsd.org
Subject:   ifconfig aliasing rehashed...

Going back to the ifconfig aliasing, where would be the 'proper' place to
add an alias?  In 2.1 sysconfig I set the line for my ed1 device to be:

ifconfig_ed1="inet 199.104.90.62 alias 199.104.90.55 netmask 255.255.255.0"

My initial reaction was to do:

ifconfig_ed1="inet 199.104.90.62 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_ed1="alias 199.104.90.55 netmask 255.255.255.0"

However I quickly regained conciousness and realized this would not work
(as it would basically blast the initial definition).

At first I thought the first option worked.  Both aliases were
functioning completely normal.  I could open and use connections to the
machine without problems, on both addresses.  However after a few minutes
of idle time I returned only to find that the alias address stopped
functioning, and any attempts to connect to it simply hung at the point
of 'trying to connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'.

Looking over /etc/netstart there doesn't seem to be any intrinsic way of
adding aliases, although I could be mistaken and simply have looked over
the obvious as i'm rather hurried at the moment.

Unfortunately I do not know enough about how ifconfig functions to know
if aliases SHOULD work on the same line as an inet definition.  Since i
may be adding more aliases in the future, that option is actually not
preferred anyway...

Thanks for listening :)

Off all of the considerations, i'm thinking of hacking netstart to also
accept an ifconfig_[device]_alias="ip ip ip ..." option, if no other
course is discovered...

-Brandon Gillespie-