Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:35:36 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: #include file xref philosophy

As proff@suburbia.net wrote:

> include/netinet/*.h are frightful. As a bunch of other things when
> -DKERNEL is on.

I don't have an argument against self-contained include files.
However a note of warning: you are _never_ (really: never) supposed to
compile any userland utility with -DKERNEL.  (I think it should be
renamed into _KERNE, so it's in the reserved namespaceL.)

>  Someone replied to me 'the magic is in the man page'

This was only done in response to your claim that one must ``magically
know'' what to include.  Don't rip something off its context, and
later reuse it as it seems it fits best for your argumentation
purposes.

--
cheers, J"org