Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 22:37:10 -0700
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reconfig info

R J Huntington asked:
 % We have FreeBSD installed on our server and need to increase swap
 % space. The question is: Do we have to reinstall the OS from scratch?

Michael Smith replied:
 # No.  See the 'vnconfig' manpage and the handbook for instructions on
 # creating a swapfile.

Gary Palmer informed uss:
 > There is a performance penalty for doing this tho. If performance is
 > critical on your server, creating or enlarging a ``proper'' raw swap
 > parition would be preferable.

Another simple alternative is to add a disk drive, and make another
swap partition on the new disk drive.  If you use a high-performance
SCSI system (can you say 'detach'?) this is a big performance win as
well.

Go check out some cheap disk drives at http://www.onsale.com/.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder