Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 23:24:28 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Nathaniel Schein <nschein@prisa.com>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The size of root and swap

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 03:01:17PM -0800, Nathaniel Schein wrote:
> I have a question concerning the suggested size of the root partitition.
> Somewhere in a man page or Complete FreeBSD version 2.x.x I remember a
> suggestion that the root partition should be small in order to reduce the
> possibility of corruption. Is this really a factor? What happens if somebody
> dumps a huge file in /tmp? Should the / directory's size vary depending on
> the availability of space? What is the suggested size and why?

Generally / is small as it isn't generally written to, except /tmp
(and /var if you don't have a separate /var partition). If you are
worried about users dumping huge files in /tmp then make it a
symlink to /usr/tmp. Do the same for /var (symlink it to /usr/var
that is, not /usr/tmp) if you don't have a separate /var partition.

If you plan on using debug kernels then you'll need a larger /
partition, mine's 64MB. Look up the thread
"Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g)" in the -questions
archive. I asked about partition sizes last time I re-built my
machine and Greg Lehey gave a lot of help and useful info (that's
where 64MB / came from).

> Also, it used to be that the amount of swap was 2x the memory. Is this still
> true or since memory commonly 128-256MB+ is there a suggested upper bound?

This generally seems to be the rule of thumb for upto 64MB of RAM.
Above that you can reduce the 2x factor. It should still be greater
than the physical RAM so that it can hold a crash dump.

HTH

> Nathaniel Schein
> System Administrator
> mailto:nschein@prisa.com
>
> Failure is not an option...
> it is integrated with every Microsoft product.

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.