Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:51:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        craig@ProGroup.COM (Craig Shaver)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinions? NT VS UNIX, NT SUCKS SOMETIMES

> The NT's sat there and refused to run anything until
> some user logged in!  Apparently there is no way to have a program
> automatically run unless you log in and then you have something in that
> little "start" window.  Nice design for a *server*!  I guess if  someone
> uses NT for a server and the power goes down in the middle of the night,
> then *someone* will have to be there to log in and start all of the server
> processes.  (snort, snicker, guffaw, ;^)

In the registry:

My Computer\
	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
		SOFTWARE\
			Microsoft\
				Windows\
					CurrentVersion\
						RunServices

Edit
	New -> String Value
		MyAgent		"C:\path_to_my-agent.exe"

Will start a program each time the NT system starts.  It's a bit more
flexible than editing /etc/rc* on BSD.

Registering the service so that the program is not killed by the first
logoff is left as an exercise for the student. 8^).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.