Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:23:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Plagens <bob@unix.tfs.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with Adaptec 1542CP

Hi,

I just got a new Adaptec 1542CP SCSI controller and am having difficulties
getting it to function with FreeBSD.

It is running on the following system:
Compaq Deskpro 575 (90 mhz pentium)
32M Ram
750M IDE boot drive
2 1.3G Seagate scsi drives (if I can get the adaptor functional)

The system boots and runs great without the scsi card installed.  When the
card is installed, the boot process goes through detecting devices and
locks up after detecting npx0.  I have recompiled the kernel with the aha0
driver specifying IRQ and address for the card.  The card is not
conflicting with any other devices.  I previously had an Adaptec 1520 with
the same IRQ and address functioning on the machine.  I have also tried
changing the irq and address of the 1542, with no success.  It locks up
with every setting.

Any ideas what the problem might be?  I'm at a loss.

Bob Plagens				Voice:  (913)262-4638 x119
System Administrator, TFSnet, Inc	Fax:    (913)262-8948
email:	bob@tfs.net			Pager:	(913)771-8365