Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:48:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brandon Lockhart <brandon@engulf.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   System administration question, prompt reply appreciated.

In order to save myself some time, does anyone here have a program that I
can add users on my machine via the web.  I would put the .HTML under a
.htaccess, and hide the .CGI file.  I would basically like something
configurable, so I can add an entry to the password file, the apache
configuration, and the db for the nameserver, rehash httpd and named, and
then log it to a file.  I know what I could do, it is just that I am not
an expert programer.  What I am thinking is a script that run's in SETUID
"mode", setuid's to root, run's "useradd" or some other program,
depending on your system, then "echo"'s or write's to the file all the
necessary text, then rehashes them all.  Then just cleanly exits.  I know
this is a big security hole, but I will be keeping it very secured, and
most likely on a machine behind a VPnetwork, and use NIS.  The web page
should be the easyily configured part, basically making a form looking
something like:

Username: _______________		Full Name: _________________
Extension: ______________		Home Dir: __________________
Password: _______________
Again: __________________

Optional VHOST: ________________________

		[ Add this user ] [ Clear Form ]

Basically, fullname and extension go in the username's gecos field,
homedir and password go in the regular field's, a uid is automatically
generated, aswell as a gid, then the homedir is appended with a
<VirtualHost> section if the Optional VHOST section is NOT blank.

    |          ////   "Anything I say represents only my opinion."    |
    | |                      BRANDON LOCKHART                       | |
    |  brandon.lockhart@usinternetworking.com     brandon@engulf.net  |
    |  Work: (410) 897-4551                    Pager: (888) xxx-xxxx  |