Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:19:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time for my own PC hardware

>Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:42:33 -0700 (PDT)
>From: rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>

[Sorry about delay; was in a seminar for Thursday & Friday, and had some
non-work-related things to do over the weekend.  (One of these was the
annual BayLISA picnic; this year, we tried an install-fest, as well.
Didn't seem to gather much interest; perhaps scheduling in conflict with
the Garlic Festival in Gilroy wasn't ideal.)  dhw]

>	The ATX Specs specify the brass standoffs instead of the old
>plastic snap in ones. :)

Makes sense to ground the board -- or so I'd think.

>> (I did note, though, that the cables supplied with the motherboard were
>> one floppy cable & one IDE cable... even though the motherboard has 2
>> IDE controllers.  I thought it would be a good idea to make the CD the
>> master for the secondary IDE, so it doesn't slow down access to the
>> disk.  Maybe I'll try picking up another cable, along with the adapter,
>> tonight.)

>	It is a good idea. Usually (If you don't buy an OEM CDROM,) the
>second IDE cable you need is included with it.

Well, the used machine that I bought to become a firewall/NAT box had a
CD drive it that seemed quite servicable, so I swapped it into the box
I'm building for my wife.  (The firewall doesn't need a CD drive.)

Seems odd that a cable would be with the CD drive, but not a disk drive.

Puzzlements.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915