Date:      24 Nov 1998 16:42:56 -0600
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        oZZ!!! <osa@etrust.ru>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-server crush...

> Hello!
> I use windowmaker-0.20.0 in my FreeBSD-3.0-CURRENT Sun Nov 22
> # uname -a
> time-2-time X server in my machine crush.
> Caught signal 24.  Server aborting
> Nov 25 00:50:25 ozz /kernel: pid 3663 (XF86_Mach64), uid 0: exited on
> signal 6
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> wmaker warning: got signal 1 (Hangup) - restarting

Signal 24 is SIGXCPU, the CPU time limit.  I'd say to check your
/etc/login.conf; it's probably not sync'd to -current.  (You probably
should also review the rest of /etc while you're at it.)  If there is
an /etc/login.conf.db, you also need to either delete it or run
cap_mkdb on login.conf.

It appears you started the server from a non-root command line, since
there is a limit.  In that case, you can run 'limits' from the same
command line to find the current limits; look for "cputime".  If xdm
started the server, then you may need to kill and restart xdm.

Before 16 Sep, the default login.conf has had a 1.5hr CPU time limit.
For a social statistic of CPU usage, my XF86_SVGA server has probably
gotten light usage on a 486-100 for three days and has used one hour
of CPU time.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--