Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 2003 13:19:15 -0600
From:      "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass device support...how generic is it?

I have a device that I'd like to get working, too... it's a Sony Clie
SJ-30.  Now, you're thinking "that's a PDA"... but the Clie comes with
an application (MS Import) that lets you access the memory stick as
though it were a mass storage device.  (I have not been able to get
syncing to work via USB, either, but that's a separate problem.)

When I run MS Import on the Clie, I get this logged:

umass0: Sony Sony PEG Mass Storage, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present
umass0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
umass0: detached

and usbdevs -v says this:

Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000),
 rev 1.00 port 1 addr 2: self powered, config 1, Sony PEG Mass
 Storage(0x006d), Sony(0x054c), rev 1.00
port 2 powered

Now, that "NOT READY" kind of throws me... I suspect that's the problem.

When using MS Import and accessing a windows machine, you have to also
install the special "MS Export" application on the windows machine.  I
have no idea what it does (I don't run windows).  Word on various Clie
mailing lists is that it "just works" on Linux, but I don't run that,
either.

Relevant OS info:  FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE

Any ideas?  I'm about to try a test installation of 5.1-RC1 on a
different partition on this box, and will test the Clie support with
that, also, but I'd like to know if there's a reason why it doesn't
work already (and a solution like "upgrade to 4.8-STABLE").

	-jan-
--
Jan L. Peterson
Unemployed "Computer Facilitator"