Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:37:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: creating partions in RC-2 install

On 03-Feb-2003 Geoff Buckingham wrote:
>  Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:02:04PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> On 10-Jan-2003 Geoff Buckingham wrote:
>> >
>> > I suspect this is my problem, not an RC-2 issue but,
>> > can anybody else create new partitions in sysinstall.
>> >
>> > Starting with a 'naked' disk straigh out of its
>> > sealed anti-static bag I cant create any partitions.
>> >
>> > This is on a Alphaserver 800 5/333, booting from CD,
>> > if nobody else sees this I will try this on a NONAME
>> > based system at the weekend.
>>
>> Yes, I have seen this before.  I think I may have a fix for it
>> though.  Need to test it locally on an i386 machine first.
>>
> Just A quick line to note this remains borken in 5.0 Release.
>
> sysinstall seems unable to disklabel new disks. However if your disk
> allready has a disklabel all is well.

Ok, then I haven't fixed it.  I will try to play with this some
when I get some time.  Sorry. :(  This is probably the problem
on the ES40.  If the guy with the ES40 could try to take the first
disk out and label it in another already-installed machine that
might work.  Either that or use the fixit option and run disklabel
manually maybe?