Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:59:44 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gaylord Van Brocklin <gvb@tns.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking situation..

> Here is the situation, a cable modem coming in to a hub then going out to
> two machines,  one a BSD system which stays up 24/7, another a Windows
> machine which will be powered off when not in use, the problem is that the
> cable company only distributes one static IP per customer.  How would I set
> something like this up with BSD and Windows? I would want the BSD system to
> be the gateway because it will be on 24/7. But how would i setup the
> windows system? If BSD capable of IP masquerading would this be the
> solution? Any help at all would be GREATLY appriciated.  thanks!

You get a static IP address? That's wonderful. I'd get a cable modem
too if my only choice wasn't $100/month, $400/modem, $200/installation,
dynamic IP address.

In addition to what others have said, I suggest a 2nd ethernet card in
the FreeBSD gateway. Connect your private network to the 2nd ethernet
card rather than to the same network as the cable modem. It is my
understanding there are minimal smarts in the cable modem and much of
your internal traffic might leak thru the cable modem.

In situations where a dynamic IP address is assigned thru a cable modem
I've heard its hard to make sure the right machine is assigned that
address. The cable modem "attaches" itself to a hardware address and
refuses to re-ARP without re-set.