Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 13:18:14 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Barry Soben <bsoben@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Problems

Barry Soben wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm on my XXst attempt at installing FreeBSD 2.1.5 from CDROM.  I finally
> got it and then in the middle of installing packages I got:
>
> proc: table is full
>
> What does that mean?

It means there's a bug in the installation program... :-)
However, it's not that bad. The installation program is not too good at
installing packages, but you can always install them yourself (once you
get the system up) by using pkg_add.

> I ^C my way out of it and tried to get back into the original installation
> program through rebooting and then tried to enter things like the root
> password.. It wouldn't let me.
>
> So I tried booting straight from the hardisk..  I got the following message
> before being told I was in for an auto-reboot:
>
> Changing root device to wd1a
> panic: cannot mount root
>
> I don't know why it's trying to mount anying on wd1, FreeBSD is installed on
> a partition on wd2.  (wd2s3 I believe)

That's a different problem. What you need to do is give the line:
1:wd(2,a)
At the Boot: prompt. Once you get a functional system you may get rid of
this by rebuilding the kernel with the config line reading:
config kernel root on wd2.

This problem is completly unrelated to the first one you've described.

> Please help!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Barry
> bsoben@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu