Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2011 07:38:01 -0500
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and SSD drives
References:  <4D550415.8060105@ifdnrg.com> <20110211185738.GB45708@guilt.hydra> <AANLkTi=BZ1P5apMBhbQRTNJsDoAArdtxRpgdBA3wiHJ%2B@mail.gmail.com> <4D56799D.13036.2335C99A@dave.g8kbv.demon.co.uk> <AANLkTin%2BexaH5ORk9zAYsWoUzVtyCWcv3unpJRUK46FV@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=AjHG5trQqOAHnVT4Ki9ORxF_ynm7MHsLiF_9h@mail.gmail.com> <20110213073814.GC57674@guilt.hydra> <AANLkTim-u5Nd8NQ_t555o5qYwRd5Ltf6Ud5rYD_G2x7N@mail.gmail.com> <20110213092353.GA58281@guilt.hydra>

--Sig_/juc5FAEfSPFvY/Y/+1FYkWI

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 02:23:53 -0700
Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> articulated:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:53:18AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > You'd surely be happier with a better OS on it, though -- right?
> >=20
> > Chad, on the "Desktop", I'd rather run the ratware from Redmond
> > than try FreeBSD! The second choice would be Linusware (not that I
> > know much about it, but just because "it" seems to support certain
> > aspects which would otherwise be painful to get to work with
> > FreeBSD). Third option is PC-BSD (which is what you mean with
> > "better OS"). All my servers run FreeBSD though. The "better OS" is
> > not so better at the Desktop, hence the choice of ratware:-)
>=20
> You clearly have a different opinion of what constitutes a good OS
> than I have.  I prefer a desktop/laptop OS that is stable, reasonably
> securable, and productivity enhancing.  I do not find immense and
> unnecessary bloat, a fundamentally broken approach to things like
> privilege separation, and a GUI so pervasively bound to interfere
> that CPU can spike to near 100% just by moving the mouse across the
> screen to meet those needs.
>=20
> Perhaps the fact that I use my desktop/laptop systems for things like
> writing code and articles rather than playing Guild Wars all day
> colors my perceptions.

"Bloat" is a purely subjective term. What one user considers bloat
could very well be a requirement for another use. For example, while
you might consider it bloat to have drivers for modern wireless "N"
protocol cards, many other users have a real need for them.

I have four PC present working in my home. Three are FreeBSD machines
and one a Win7 one. The Windows machine is essential, if for no other
reason than there is software that is just not available on a FreeBSD
platform. Or if it is available, it is of very poor quality. MS Office
is a perfect example. Despite all of the rubbish the FOSS community has
spewed for over 10 years, OpenOffice is nothing more than a poor clone
of Office 97. The newly released "libreoffice" might be usable someday;
however, it is now only in its infancy. There is no way it can be
compared to a full blown MS Office 10 suite. Until the FOSS can write
applications that are not only compatible with, but as fully functional
as MS Office and similar software, as well as provide drivers in a
timely manner (and I am still waiting for Java to be updated to the
latest version so that it will work with the FreeBSD version of
Firefox, or for acroread9 to actually work and play well with others,
etc), Microsoft will always be a requirement for many end users.

This is in no way a condemnation of FreeBSD, or any other open-source
product. It is just a simple statement of fact. The majority of users,
despite what they may publicly proclaim, want software and hardware
that just works. I had installed an older nVidia GeForce GT 220 card in
an older PC and then discovered that there was no sound being emitted by
the machine. Wasting valuable time, I finally discovered that I had to
modify the "sysctl.conf" file. Crap like that should just not happen.
Things should just work. If other OS's can accomplish that feat, there
is no reasonable reason that FreeBSD cannot attain that level of
usability either, unless its goal is to remain nothing more than a
hobbyist's toy.

For the record, I have never played "Guild Wars", although there are
many fine games available that are not available on the FreeBSD
platform. And no, I am not going to blame the authors of said software
for that since they have an absolute right, well maybe not according to
the EC aka ECUSSR, but in a normal and free business climate to write
and publish software in whatever OS language they desire.=20

Just my 2=C2=A2.

--=20
Jerry =E2=9C=8C
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net

There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.

--Sig_/juc5FAEfSPFvY/Y/+1FYkWI

--Sig_/juc5FAEfSPFvY/Y/+1FYkWI--