Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:02:13 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Marcin Dalecki <mdcki@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Synaptics touchpad extendid support.

Marcin Dalecki wrote:
> >>Here is my first cut at support for the Synaptics touchpads,

> >2. The pad has 4 buttons; left and right work as before.  In between,
> >there are a small up and down button.  Now the up button acts as the
> >middle button (button 3?) -- ie I can paste with it.  The down button
> >still does nothing.

> Well for certain the down button does something in esp. it is posting
> button 4 events. Watch out xev please - you should see it there.

Actually, I don't.  If I run moused without button options, ie
  moused -t auto -d /dev/psm0
I see the up button but not the down button.  If I run either
  moused -t auto -d /dev/psm0 -3
or
  moused -t auto -d /dev/psm0 -m 4=2 -m 5=4
I see neither the up button nor the down button in xev.

> >What I'd like is to emulate 3 buttons with simultaneous left-right
> >clicking, as before; have the "up" button behave like scrolling a
> >mousewheel up; and have the "down" button behave like scrolling a
> >mousewheel down.  I thought the
> >  Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>     Option Buttons 5?

Yes, that was there.

> >in XF86Config, and
> >  moused -m 4=3 -m 5=4
> >would do it.  But no luck (though the above moused options do stop the
> >up button from acting like a middle button).
>
> moused -m 4=2 -m 5=4 should do it.

No luck, see above.

Perhaps my hardware isn't a Synaptics touchpad?  (although it gets
detected as one with your patch).  It's a Compaq Presario 1200 around
a year old.

Thanks
- Rahul