Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 10:42:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Richard Belanger <a030058t@bc.seflin.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using memory extenders with FreeBSD

> Anybody tried FreeBSD with SIMM memory extenders?  Probably called
> SimmExtender or similar. They are cards that plug in the motherboard
> where, in turn, you can plug in more RAM modules.

	From a hardware standpoint these are a bad idea. They're usually
cheaply made so they don't work to well, I've had to replace all but one
of them that I've ever seen. The other problem is that you have to be
careful what chips you put on them. For instance, you usually can't put
in 1 meg ram chips that have 8 or 9 chips on each one, most motherboards
limited the number of those chips. For the price of RAM these days it's
by far better to spend the extra money.

						Rick