Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2013 18:09:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng." <lkchen@ksu.edu>
To:        Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS: Failed pool causes system to hang

So, this thread seems to just stop....and can't see if it was resolved or not.

Anyways, my input would be did you want long enough to see if the system will boot before declaring it hung?

I've had my system crash at bad times, which has resulted in the appearance that the boot is hung...but its busy churning away....

Recently, I was destroying a large dataset on a raidz pool when the system had crashed.  It seemed hung at trying to mount root....but it was churning away....and since I had it eventually booted after a similar incident.  I left the system alone....and after almost 24 hours it finally did finally finish booting and everything was fine.

Supposedly there's been a fix to make the destroy of large datasets faster...hopefully that'll make it in soon.

OTOH, I had a system that corrupted the zpool so bad that it would panic when importing it....though I was able to import the pool read-only....so I was able to recover files and then start over again.  The second time, it got corrupted that it wouldn't import under any condition.  So, I had to start over from scratch.  Eventually, tracked it down to a bad DIMM.