Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:43:41 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keyboard Not Responding With X startup

> You should not start X before init has finished running /etc/rc
> and starting all of its gettys (according to /etc/ttys).
> Otherwise init will try to start a getty on the same vty on
> which X is running, which is a Bad Thing.
>
> The easiest way to avoid all of those problems would be to
> run xdm from /etc/ttys.  I think there's even a (disabled)
> example entry in that file.

This is a really bad idea - "xdm -nodaemon" seems to have weird
bugs which can result in thousands of xdm's being spawned if
someone does an X -indirect to your machine. Besides rc.local
is the right sort of place for this to happen.

I'm suffering from the same problem, but putting sshd before
xdm in rc.local seems to provide enough of a delay. Could this
be related to the new console driver stuff?

	David.