Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 19:26:17 +0400
From:      Peter Vereshagin <peter@vereshagin.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: termcap/terminfo magicians anyone? // colors in vim

Hello.

2012/05/30 16:15:24 +0200 uki <ukaszg@gmail.com> => Cc freebsd-questions@freebsd.org :
u> Hi,
u>
u> things to check:
u> * does the color scheme require 256 colors? is your terminal compiled
u> with that feature?

I think I've just recompiled x11/xterm with 256 colors it but did not check the old xterm with 256color2.pl as I use tmux... With tmux I see 8 colors, 8-colored cubes and a white ramp.
Without tmux I see 16 system colors and nothing instead cubes and black ramp too.
Why should I need more colors? '-T linux' is just fine with 8 colors... It even works (but badly) in ttyvX

I restarted xterm after I rebuilt it, I believe no need to restart Xorg.

u> * check your TERM env variable, (also try setting t_Co in vim) some
u> info here: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/256_colors_in_vim

TERM is xterm in xterm and screen in tmux.

What if vim takes a different colorscheme depending on its -T parameter ? At the least TERM=linux does the needed trick on vim but not on, say. 'ls -G' ...

On a second look I see only 3 colors enough (+ black + white) on the what-I-need picture, they are just as bright as they should.

u> cheers,
u> ??ukasz Gruner
u>
u>