Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:46:57 +0100
From:      Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 6-STABLE.  Route specific send & receive buffer sizes not working?

--------------000106020702000607000200

or am I missing something?

See attached file below.

route add -sendpipe -recvpipe works on FreeBSD 4.x,  but not on 6-STABLE
(or on 5.4 either - although that's not shown).

I'm trying to set the parameters for specific routes so that I can
properly account for the bw delay product.  (I don't want to do it for
every connection using the global sysctls because these servers can have
many concurrent connections).

Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this a bug?

If it's a bug,  I'll file a PR.

--------------000106020702000607000200

starbug# uname -a
FreeBSD starbug 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #5: Mon May 29 14:19:48 BST 2006     @starbug:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STARBUG  i386

starbug# route get rhino
   route to: rhino
destination: default
       mask: default
    gateway: dellboy
  interface: em0
      flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC>
 recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     expire
       0         0         0         0         0         0      1500         0

starbug# route add rhino dellboy -recvpipe 196608 -sendpipe 196608 -rtt 100
add host rhino: gateway dellboy

starbug# route get rhino
   route to: rhino
destination: rhino
    gateway: dellboy
  interface: em0
      flags: <UP,GATEWAY,HOST,DONE,STATIC>
 recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     expire
       0         0         0         0         0         0      1500         0

starbug> $ scp zeros rhino:/tmp
zeros                                         100%   10MB 330.3KB/s   00:31

boycie# uname -a
FreeBSD boycie 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #2: Fri Jul 15 09:46:13 BST 2005     @boycie:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BOYCIE  i386

boycie# route get rhino
   route to: rhino
destination: default
       mask: default
    gateway: dellboy
  interface: sis0
      flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC,PRCLONING>
 recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     expire
       0         0         0         0         0         0      1500         0

boycie# route add rhino dellboy -recvpipe 196608 -sendpipe 196608 -rtt 100
add host rhino: gateway dellboy

boycie# route get rhino
   route to: rhino
destination: rhino
    gateway: dellboy
  interface: sis0
      flags: <UP,GATEWAY,HOST,DONE,STATIC>
 recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    rttvar  hopcount      mtu     expire
  196608    196608         0         0         0         0      1500         0

boycie>scp zeros rhino:/tmp
zeros                100% |*****************************| 10240 KB    00:16

boycie#route delete rhino
delete host rhino