Date:      Mon, 26 May 2008 15:09:32 -0700
From:      Chris St Denis <chris@smartt.com>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <jos@webrz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel for Dual Core

Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> Tore Lund wrote:
>> Right, anecdotally.  I seem to recall there was a real speed gain under
>> version 4.x.  When I tried to trim my kernel in one of the 6.x releases,
>> however, there was barely any differenc.
>>
> I have a hard disk bay in my server. Due to the fact that BSD is very
> flexible, in case of hardware failure other than hard disk, you can
> remove the hard drive and put it in any other server and with GENERIC
> you just power on and it will allways work. When you use a system
> tuned version, that might be not the case as some removed periphirals
> are deleted from the Kernel. Is this, in combination with the speedy
> processors nowadays, a reason to use GENERIC though?
> Is Kernel finetuning not for older hardware (P2 and P3 related)?
>
> Jos
Although this can be useful, it's still generally reasonably safe to
comment out a lot of stuff. For example, a server doesn't typically need
mp3 player support, and most ISA stuff can probably go unless you are
working with very old hardware, and a server probably doesn't need
pccard support. The more obscure NICs can probably go too.

--
Chris St Denis
Programmer