Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:28:07 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DUMP over NFS Slow?

4.5-RELEASE-p18 FreeBSD

I've just started doing dumps of file systems over NFS to another machine
whose main duty is for Hard Disk backups.

I've noticed that dumping a 5.2GB FS takes about an hour which seems awful
slow.
"DUMP: finished in 3652 seconds, throughput 1346 KBytes/sec" -- OUCH! 1346
KBytes/sec!

I can do a TAR copy of the same size over NFS is just a few minutes. Wonder
what makes dumping/NFS so much slower? I bumped the NMBCLUSTERS=8192 for
one thing. The NICs are transferring okay.....

Are there other things I can "tune" to speed this up?

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net