Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:40:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Could somebody please test this patch?

Terry Lambert wrote:

>> Fine, then _tell_ me what the specific address is supposed to be,
>> if there even really is one.  I know there's a specific address in
>> SVR4/i386, but as yet you've given me no reason to think the address
>> is wired down on the Alpha.  Just saying it's wired down doesn't do
>> anybody a bit of good if you don't state what the address is supposed
>> to be.
>
> Do you have a copy of DEC UNIX with a compiler?

I don't even have an Alpha machine.

> Write a program:
>
>       main()
>       {
>               for(;;) {
>                       sleep(1000);
>               }
>       }
>
> And then examine the memory mappings for it.

That will show where the RTLD is mapped for sleep, but it doesn't
show whether the RTLD _has_ to be mapped at that location.  I think
a better way would be to run objdump on the Digital Unix RTLD and
see if it has a fixed load address.

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken