Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 11:10:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pcvt25 and numlock weirdness

I found the syscons stuff (scons25) to be fine for the native 2.1R
FreeBSD environment on a ThinkPad 701CS) but it has some serious
shortcomings when interfacing with other UNIX boxes over a modem
(kermit) link (UNIX termcap entries didn't have any close matches).
So, I rebuilt my kernel (had to anyway) with the pcvt stuff and I
have found a very frustrating (and very fishy) feature of the pcvt25
code.  Several (random) keys (at random times) seem to produce the
key codes for the "numlock" feature of the ThinkPad keyboard.  Nate
Williams has told me he has seen this pcvt25 behaviour as well.  This
is driving me crazy!  This didn't happen with the scons25 code, so
I don't think it has anything to do with a flakey keyboard.  Am I now
screwed (having to use scons25 even though I don't want to), or is
there a work-around to this problem or a fix (maybe in some later code)?

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley, N8NXN              Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network Inc.                 Domain: web@merit.edu