Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:04:09 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        FreeBSD AMD list <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Opteron box, dedicated to PostgreSQL

--Apple-Mail-9-347238058
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Mar 16, 2007, at 7:17 AM, Claus Guttesen wrote:

>> while configuring my 1st PostgreSQL box with dual Opterons (2212) on
>> FreeBSD, I have some questions:
>>
>> 3. What are the recommendations for tuning I/O)?
>>     - setting sysctl vfs.read_max to 16 or 32
>>     - rebuilding the relevant filesystem with 32K blocks and 4K frags
>>     Are these reliable?
>
> The following were suggetions from Vivek Khera:

I've recently bumped the shmall and shmmax on my dual opteron with
16GB of RAM, and increased correspondingly the shared buffers.

The max shmall you can set on freebsd (at least 6.1) is 2147483647,
so I set shmall to 524288 to correspond.  This supports 250000 shared
buffers and 100 max connections.  Might support more, but definitely
not 260000.

I'm also using vfs.read_max=32 but I haven't really tested if it
makes a big difference in formal benchmarks.

The other day I was having some I/O overload, so I tried setting
vfs.hirunningspace to 3K but it didn't solve my immediate problem.
I've left that setting for now.  Doesn't seem to really make a big
difference.

I find that the adaptec 2230SLP RAID controllers are not able to keep
up with my load, but the LSI 320-2X is.  I'm currently investigating
external arrays attached via fibre for some boost.

--Apple-Mail-9-347238058--