Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2008 01:29:09 +0000
From:      "John Wright" <jwright11@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   HDA Codec: Sigmatel (Unknown)

Hi,

I'm trying to get my sound system up and running on my Dell Vostro 1500 but
I'm running into some difficulties.  I DO have sound playing, but it is
playing through the headphone jack, not the speakers.  Also, there is a
built in microphone as well as a mic jack, i.e. when I was using Vista I
could just talk at my computer and it'd record with no external microphone.
I've been trying to do the same with Krec but I haven't been successful
yet.  I also DON'T have an external mic yet so I haven't been able to test
if the mic jack is working or not.

Thus far the sound seems to be nice when I have headphones on and I'm able
to control the volume with Kmix and mixer.  Things that I've noticed and I'm
not sure if they're related are that when I watch a movie with mplayer the
sounds seems to be lagged by maybe a quarter or a half of a second.  Not too
much, but enough to notice, which is enough!  I'm not quite sure that that's
related though.

Also, mixer shows that mic is my recording source but mixer doesn't show mic
as a device!

By dmesg it seems that the proper codec isn't getting loaded and I wonder if
this could be the cause for this behavior.  I'll appreciate any help I can
get.  Thanks.

jello# uname -a
FreeBSD jello.hwresnet.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24
19:59:52 UTC 2008     root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

jello# cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep pcm
pcm0: <Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0xfebfc000-0xfebfffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
pcm0: [ITHREAD]
pcm0: <HDA Codec: Sigmatel (Unknown)>
pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20071129_0050>

jello# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2007061600/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller> at memory 0xfebfc000
irq 21 kld snd_hda [20071129_0050] [MPSAFE] (1p:2v/1r:1v channels duplex
default)

jello# pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 audio

jello# sysctl hw.snd
hw.snd.latency_profile: 1
hw.snd.latency: 5
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap: 0
hw.snd.feeder_buffersize: 16384
hw.snd.feeder_rate_round: 25
hw.snd.feeder_rate_max: 2016000
hw.snd.feeder_rate_min: 1
hw.snd.verbose: 1
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 16
hw.snd.default_unit: 0
hw.snd.version: 2007061600/i386
hw.snd.default_auto: 0

jello# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  33:33
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  19:19
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  18:18
Mixer line     is currently set to  18:18
Mixer rec      is currently set to  47:47
Recording source: mic