Date:      Mon,  1 Jul 2002 09:41:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "baszd" <baszd-meg@excite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to get back FreeBSD-dumped data with linux-restore.

Hi all!

> I have a FreeBSD (rel. 4.5) fileserver and a Debian (patato, kernel
> After all I'm not sure whether the problem is Linux-restore or
> FreeBSD-dump.
> Maybe somebody has a clue?

Somebody had. Sorry, but I lost that mail. Thanx anyway for answering.
He said, that this problem is filesystem-specific and I have to use tar or pax instead of dump.
It was a matter of blocksizes and I had to rewind the tape before the  dump and before the restore.
If somebody is interessted in this topic, the whole thread can be found here :
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/1111/2002/6/0/ and current postings:
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/1111/0/

Regards,

bm.