Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:08:27 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating handbook and friends from source

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 04:53:19PM +0100, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to upgrade the documentation in /usr/share/doc from the
> sources.
> I have recently cvsup'ed the doc collection and need hints about what
> to do next.
>
> I understand I need jade, it's already in place, but is there anything
> else that I need?
> I have also installed html-4.0b from the ports collection.

Install the docproj meta-port. That gets you everything you need to
build the docs from source.

> I am particularly interested in updating the English version of the
> documentation.
> Can I remove the «foreign» versions of the documentation in
> /usr/share/doc?

Yes, but then set the environment variable DOC_LANG to
``en_US.ISO_8859-1'' or make(8) will bitch about missing directories.
To prevent cvsup getting the non-English docs in future create a file
/usr/sup/refuse containing:

doc/es* doc/fr* doc/ja* doc/ru* doc/zh*

HTH.

BTW, this is better on -docs, Cc:'d there

> Please respond via email (cc: or whatever) since I don't subscribe to
> this list. Should I take this discussion elsewhere? The doc list for
> instance?
>
> TIA,
> Trond.

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000