Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:39:28 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@sigpipe.cz>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

# paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu / 2005-06-28 11:38:44 -0400:
> Note how the transfer rate for the "outside" is almost twice that of the
> "inside."  Suppose I run tests on two different operating systems, one
> of which resides in a partition on the "inside" portion and the other in
> one on the "outside" portion.

    Which is not the case according to the OP...

> (Note that however good or bad it may be, the "location selection
> strategy in the driver" can only lay out data within the confines of
> the partition.)  Now, I do a "dd" test and find that the "outside" OS
> is almost twice as fast as the other.  Would it be wise to conclude
> that the slower OS is woefully inefficient compared to the faster one?
> Suppose both tests turn out to take roughly the same time.  Should I
> conclude that the OS residing on the "inside" is just as efficient as
> the other OS?

    ... rendering this completely irrelevant.

    I have seen people come to a freebsd list with completely flawed
    comparisons or benchmarks: OSs installed on different partitions
    side by side, not taking VM cache into account, whatever, and be
    told that their numbers are flawed.

    I have also seen people test a specific subsystem (dd), and be told
    that their numbers don't reflect real world.

    And I have seen people test real world performance (install FreeBSD,
    install MySQL, run a stress test, reformat, install Linux, install
    MySQL, run a stress test) and get responses that try to make up
    reasons why the bad results are the testers fault). Heck, if
    installing an operating system, a database, and running it isn't
    a real world test, I don't know what is. Even if the bug is "FreeBSD
    puts /var/db/mysql in the wrong part of the disk" (then it's still
    a problem in FreeBSD, not in the messenger).

    I just wish people here were less defensive, that's all.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.