Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2007 21:14:31 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finding nat'd IP address?

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007, Chandhee Thala wrote:
>if i connect to the net with a cable modem or some other device that uses
>NAT and gives me a private IP addresses, what is the most "Elegant" way to
>get my real IP? (assume that the device itself will not let me have it).
>
>I can go to some site that gives the visitor their ip address and screen
>scrape, but I'd like to know if there is a cleaner solution before I start
>scripting.

The ``ifconfig'' command will show the information for one or all
NICs on the system including the private IP address assigned.

Checking on an external site will only show you the public IP
address of the box doing NAT.  We have a utility to do this:

	http://www.celestial.com/showinfo_form

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The Constitution is a written instrument.  As such, its meaning
does not alter.  That which it meant when it was adopted, it
means now.
-- SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)